Sunday, December 29, 2013

Changes Abound...

Watercolor Ink Flowers -   Students created ink blots and then transformed the blots into flowers.  
All art requires courage.  Life requires courage.

Last May, my dear friend Allison passed away from stomach cancer. She was my substitute, my friend, the one who got me through the death of my husband.  Somehow, I couldn't see continuing without her.  About the same time, an art job opened up at the high school, and after some thought, I  made a career switch… going from elementary art to high school.  I was hoping this new job would work better with my family, and in many ways it has. There were so many changes in my life so quickly.  Making this switch has been a huge change for me.

On that level, I have found that dealing with high school students is challenging and rewarding.  Art is such an emotionally charged field, because of this whole courage issue.  It is scary putting your work up there for everyone to see.  It is easy to say "I can't draw" because of the fear of failure.  Sometimes it is so much easier to not try.

That said, the first semester is almost over.  I have taken a group of students who couldn't draw and they have transformed themselves in to amazing competent artists.  I couldn't be more pleased.  I will try to post some of their work over the next few months.  I hope you will stay tuned and share your own ideas as well.

1 comment:

Mrs. C said...

Change is good... change is scary but good... It makes us grow as individuals... :)